Welcome to Middlehope Veterinary Hospital, where we prioritize the health and happiness of your beloved pets. Today, we're diving into a crucial aspect of their well-being that often goes overlooked – dental care. Just like humans, cats and dogs require regular teeth cleaning and dental check-ups to ensure a lifetime of healthy smiles and overall well-being.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is not just about achieving pearly whites; it's an essential component of your pet's overall health. Poor dental health in cats and dogs can lead to a range of issues, including bad breath, gum disease, tooth decay, and even systemic health problems affecting organs like the heart and kidneys.
The Dental Procedure at Middlehope Veterinary Hospital
At Middlehope Veterinary Hospital, we understand that dental care is a key element in your pet's preventive healthcare. Our comprehensive dental procedure is designed to address and prevent oral health issues, ensuring your furry friend enjoys a happy and pain-free life.
- Dental Examination: The process begins with a thorough dental examination. Our experienced veterinarians assess the overall oral health of your pet, checking for signs of dental problems such as tartar buildup, gingivitis, and loose or damaged teeth. We send out baseline lab work to ensure all of your pet's organs are functioning properly and can safely break down the anesthesia.
- Dental Cleaning: Next, we perform a professional dental cleaning under the safest available general anesthesia. This involves the removal of plaque and tartar from the teeth and below the gumline, using specialized instruments. Our team ensures that the cleaning is done meticulously to prevent the progression of dental issues.
- Polishing: Once the teeth are clean, we polish them to create a smooth surface, making it more difficult for plaque to accumulate. This step not only helps in maintaining a bright smile but also contributes to long-term oral health.
- Digital Dental X-rays: To get a comprehensive view of your pet's oral health, perform digital dental X-rays. This advanced diagnostic tool allows us to detect potential issues beneath the surface, such as abscesses, fractures, or other hidden problems.
- Treatment and Recommendations: If any dental issues are identified during the procedure, our veterinary team discusses treatment options and can provide most treatments, such as extractions, same day. Once the dental procedure is over our team provides recommendations for at-home dental care to help maintain your pet’s teeth between dental cleanings. We believe in empowering pet owners with the knowledge and tools to contribute to their pet's oral health between veterinary visits.
Investing in your pet's dental care is an investment in their overall well-being. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings at Middlehope Veterinary Hospital ensure that your furry friends maintain healthy smiles and lead happy, pain-free lives, and can add years to your best friend’s life. Don't let dental issues go unnoticed – schedule a dental appointment today and let us help your pets achieve and maintain those pearly whites!